Monday, June 12, 2017

Coyoacán's Iglesia de la Concepción

Wow, I have countless posts about Mexico City's Coyoacán neighbourhood, an old, colonial style and very colourful part of the city. I have written about squares, and churches, and streets, and foods, and cantinas... And I have never ever posted a picture of my favourite church in the whole neighbourhood – the Iglesia de la Concepción (better known as the Iglesia de la Conchita). 

I must say one reason was that this early 16th century church had been under renovation since forever, as some ominous massive cracks had appeared and it did seem like the building could split open like an egg shell any day. But after our Culhuacán visit (see my previous post) we payed my sis and her family a visit in Coyoacán, which is not that far from Culhuacán. The church's renovation is over!

So, just some pics of this church, erected by Hernán Cortés himself, in one of the oldest and most traditional neighbourhoods of Mexico City, boasting a gorgeous baroque (and formerly very colourful, with deep blues and reds) facade with local tezontle stone and native inspiration, and simply my favourite church in this area (and probably the whole city), surrounded by the quaintest of parks:



No comments: