Monday, January 16, 2017

the colour of the gods

In my hurry to finish writing about Argentina and to do my 2016 reflection I forgot there were a couple of things we did between Christmas and New Year's Eve! One of them was going to the Palacio de Bellas Artes to see El Color de los Dioses (the Colour of the Gods), an exhibition on how old Greek, Roman and Aztec statues would have looked like with their original colours.

I think the photos say it all. What a different world! So unlike the marble-white (Greek and Roman) or stone-grey (Aztec) that dominates our imagination! Can you imagine all those temples in bright hues of blue, yellow, red? And look at those fantastic patterns on the tunics and clothes! And the eyes!










The exhibition closed on January 8th. I had been dying to see it, glad I managed. And glad to have had the opportunity to get a more accurate picture of such an important past. 

No comments: