Saturday, November 15, 2014

Franz Mayer Museum



One of my favourite museums in Mexico City must be the Franz Mayer Museum.  It has that Goldilocks quality I enjoy - not too big, not too small; not too monothematic, not too diverse.  Just right.   Plus it had a couple of things that, in my eyes, are worth a visit just to see them, like a 17th century screen with the story of the conquest of Mexico-Tenochtitlan, including a map of the city and a "scene index" in old Spanish.  I mean, an item that originated in Japan, narrating such a tragic story, and with a linguistic side of interest to me?




And a Chinese-Philippine Christ, not just with a gorgeous hue and glow, but with delightful Asian facial features...  



And a temporary exhibit of masks and objects of Ruth D. Lechuga, a Viennese-Jewish émigré to Mexico with a passion for folk art related to death and the Day of the Dead.  I mean, the connections! Amazing!




And, finally, the old basin at the café (which you access through a beautiful central patio) - yellow lions, blue flowers, an angel...



What a fantastic surprise, this museum!

No comments: