Monday, October 13, 2014

mezcal and chile broad beans!

As you can see, La Botica, a Mexican mezcalería (that is, a place that specializes in mezcal) has become sort of one of my favourite places to go.  First of all, when I lived in Mexico City some 12 years ago, mezcal wasn't that big a thing.  Now - it's everywhere!  And the variety is astonishing! 

BTW, in case you didn't know (and I myself didn't know either before), mezcal is an alcoholic beverage made from the maguey plant (a form of agave), specifically from the heart of the plant. Actually, tequila is one variety of mezcal, made from blue agave in specific parts of the country. Additionally, the heart of the plant is cooked in stainless steel industrial ovens in the case of tequila, while it's usually done in underground earthen pits lined with volcanic rock in the case of mezcal, which imparts it a different flavour from tequila.  Now you (me!) can impress friends with your knowledge, eh? LOL

So, not only can I find mezcal from all over the country, but I can also find this delicious snack: roasted broadbeans with chile.  If you like roasted thingies like corn kernels, you might like this, although I'm afraid it might be sort of an acquired taste, especially because of the chile.  But these bits of spicy pleasure and an ounce or two of smokey mezcal... Awesome. 


No comments: