My first weekend in Mexico City saw me enjoying a fantastic and very Mexican meal with many things I adore!
- Micheladas, which is beer with lime juice and a salt rim.
- Huitlacoche, which is a sort of fungus that grows on corn. It's an acquired taste, for sure, and I absolutely love it!
- Flor de calabaza, or squash blossom. Mix it with some mushrooms, some onion... delish!
- Nopal tortillas, or tortillas made from cactus. Can't have a meal like this without tortillas to make tacos, eh?
- Nopal envuelto en hierba santa, or cactus wrapped in holy leaf, which gives it an incredible aroma and flavour.
- Salsas! Red salsa, green salsa, super spicy, super tasty.
- And, of course, avocado.
And afterwards, how about a Oaxaca (that's an incredibly culturally rich state of Mexico) chocolate sorbet in traditional Coyoacán (a very colonial part of Mexico City)? So rich, like a brownie made ice-cream, but vegan! Oh my!