Thursday, December 26, 2013

Walter Mitty, snow and Chinese food for Xmas

I've been far from family (geographically, not emotionally) for many years.  And I'm not very traditional to begin with.  So unless I put an extra effort, I can't quite produce a traditional Christmas experience, LOL.  On top of that, with 50% of Torontonians being from abroad, this city seems somewhat less Christmassy than other, less diverse places, which doesn't help.  

That being said, it was a nice Christmas day, with a feel-good movie to start:  "The secret life of Walter Mitty".  It didn't receive good reviews, but I couldn't help but get excited about Greenland, Iceland, the Himalayas, travel, adventure, strange experiences...    

It was also a Christmas of snow, plenty of it!



And of excellent dumplings, mapo tofu and bok choy at our favourite dumpling house... (Chinese food for Christmas? are my remote Jewish genes at work here?)



And of nice walks in a quiet, calm, snowy Toronto, where the soft snow crunched beneath thanks to Saturday's ice storm.  Here, a pic of one of my favourite local parks, Grange Park, with OCAD University lit purple in the background:



So, no, not traditional.  But still a merry Christmas for me.   

No comments: